Saturday, May 28, 2011

road trip

Here I am in Wisconsin with my best friend Sam and a few other people, one that I just met recently, Alyssa, and one that I've known for about a year now, Pat.  We are here because this is where Sam's mom and step dad live.  I've always counted them as family and since I only get to see them once a year, I was all about this visit. 

Ahh, Wisconsin. Such a nice change from Marshall, Minnesota.  Marshall, where the land is flat and full of fields to a change of view to Wisconsin, where the land is hilly, few fields and beautiful scenery.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a full fledged Minnesotan, but Wisconsin really is amazing. 

I started my memorial weekend going camping with some friends on Lake Shetek at Schriers campsite.  That place is gorgeous!  Especially when you wander around the park for a while and see what the place all as to offer.  The only bad part about it was, was that you are not allowed to bring in your own fire wood (damn you ash borer).  So, buying wood was quite expensive.  other than that, you get an amazing view of the south/southeast side of the lake. 

We did get rained out though.  We ended up staying inside the camper and played games.  It felt so nice to get out of the real world where everything is all hustle and bustle, and be able to realize what is around you and chill.  It is the simple things in life that make everything worth while. 

As much as I hated it, I did have to leave them this morning so I could leave for our road trip.  We left the micropolis of Marshall around 9 am this morning and arrived in Boscobel Wisconsin around 4pm.  Needless to say, we know how to travel and we get there quick.  We did have a few pit stops though.  I needed to go shopping, we got lunch and the highlight of our stops was that we met up with my dad.  My dad is a truck driver and he was bringing some beer back from Pennsylvania.  We met him at exit 258 on I-90 and he gave me a case.  The look on every one's faces was priceless.  I told them that dad was bringing 26 or so cases back and apparently they didn't believe me.  They do now ^_^ .

The best thing about being in Boscobel is that it is so relaxed.  I've never felt more at home, then when I am here.  The family is so chill and we always have a beer in our hands.  Yes, I know that sounds bad, but it really isn't.  We chill, play games and have a good time.  Lots of memories are made here and those memories are why you keep coming back. 

Mom and Fish are awesome!  The house, now called The Fish Tank, is currently being added on to.  It is still under construction, but here we sit in the new addition playing cards and drinkin beers.  Good, good times. 

Rumor has it that we are going to Madison tomorrow.  I really hope that we are.  I've got family in Sun Prairie.  I guess if we do go, we are going to the bratfest and as it turns out, that is where my family is going too!!  That's awesome!  A little known fact is that this part of my family is my favorite part of family.  It consists of my Uncle Paul, Aunt Jan and Cousins Ryan and Chelsea (sorry Chels if you spell your name differently).  Every time I am around them I feel that I am with family.  The only down side of that is I only get to see them once or twice a year.  I think I should make a goal of it to see them more often, but I don't wanna feel like a burden to them.  So I keep to myself. 

We've got a big night planned tonight.  We are going to hit up the bars downtown and make a night and club of it.  Normally I'm really quiet and stay up against the wall by myself, but since I told myself that I'm not going to be that person anymore, I'm gonna go all out.  I'm with some real good friends that I am really comfortable with, so I think this is a perfect time for me to try out the new me...I hope.

But with that I must go.  My Guinness is getting warm and I'm sure that we are going to head out soon. 

Save journeys to everyone out there
-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment